LB loves pumpkin flavored goodies and I love making them for him.
A few weeks ago I found a recipe for pumpkin pound cake and successfully created that cake. I posted about that cake here. The pumpkin pound cake has long been devoured, so I decided to tackle another recipe.
It all began with 3 eggs. I cracked them into my stand mixer and beat them for 5 minutes.
While they were mixing, I set the oven to 375°. Then I sprayed a 10×15 inch sheet pan with no stick cooking spray, lined the pan with parchment paper, and sprayed it again.
After the eggs were very well beaten, I added 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 2/3 cup pumpkin puree.
In a separate bowl, I combined together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda, then added flour and baking soda to the pumpkin mixture and blended some more. Every recipe I researched had a very small amount of flour, which was surprising to me.
Then I spread the mixture over the prepared sheet pan.
I popped it into the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.When I removed the cake from the oven I turned it out onto a CLEAN dish towel that I had sprinked with confectioners’ sugar. After it had cooled enough to handle I peeled away the parchment and rolled the cake inside the towel, and left it seam side down to cool.
I made a mess with the confectioners’ sugar when I dropped my cake onto the towel. SLOB.
The filling is a typical cream cheese frosting that is made by blending together butter, cream cheese, more confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract. When cake cooled, I unrolled it and spread the cream cheese filling. Then rolled it up again (without towel, obviously).
I have no more pictures of the process because at this point I had become more interested in licking the bowl after I emptied it of the frosting.
For the cake:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting/filling:
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Spray a 10×15 inch sheet pan with no stick cooking spray, line the pan with parchment paper, and spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, beat 3 eggs for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 2/3 cup pumpkin puree to the egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add flour and baking soda to pumpkin mixture and blend until smooth.
- Spread the cake mixture over the prepared jelly roll pan.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Remove cake from pan and place on cotton towel. Roll up the cake by rolling a towel inside cake and place seam side down to cool.
- Prepare the frosting by blending together 5 tablespoons butter, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- When cake is completely cooled, unroll and spread with cream cheese filling. Roll up again without towel. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle top with confectioners sugar and slice.